August 24, 2009

Ok, God Thought I Needed a New Car

On August 5th I was on my way to work in bumper to bumper traffic getting off 121 to 635 when all of a sudden I saw the back of a Tahoe flash in front of me. It was that momentary flash of "I'm about to crash!" and them boom.



I was going 3 - 5 mph and apparently it was enough of a head on collision to cause my airbags to go off. I just stopped, tried to catch my breath in all the smoke/powder that apparently is in the airbags.



Tried to get my door open and couldn't. Tried not to panic and moved my car to the shoulder of the road. Finally got my door out and walked out to see three wrecked cars in front of me. OK, now the thought was "Oh, crude, I cause a multi-car accident." Then the guys comes running up behind me apologizing for hitting me. That is when the shock started to take course.



Jenna happened to be at soccer camp at the furthest North part of Flower Mound and so I had to handle the police, the tow truck, the body shop, the insurance company and figure out what to do about work all by myself. Jason was finally able to come get me after he dropped off Jenna. I walked away with only a few bruises on my left arm from the airbags. Had I been going faster that 5 mph it probably would have been worse.

Long story short, it was the Tahoe in front of me who caused the accident. The guy behind me paid for ten days worth of rental car, so I only had to pay for one day! Praise God! The bad part is I had to purchase a new car and with that a car payment I didn't have before the accident. Lucky for me it wasn't determined to be my fault because apparently I didn't have enough coverage for that. Lesson learned and quickly corrected. I know, I know - I am in the Auto industry and Insurance industry - I should know better.

I was able to use the Citigroup discount for a Ford Explorer. We got a good deal and they worked with me to get the color combination that I wanted. Of course, it came from College Station because they would trade a truck for a SUV where the one I wanted was in Austin and they wanted a fuel efficient vehicle. Figures! Any way, trying to get use to the new vehicle and hoping this lasts until Jenna starts driving!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Glad you are okay, but sorry for the ordeal you had to go through. Love the new car...I'm sure it will be even better since it came from Aggieland! :)

Julie said...

Pretty car!
Can't wait to see it in person. :)