September 30, 2009

Alaska Days 1 - 5

Day 1 of our Alaskan cruise consisted of a 7 hour flight from DFW to Anchorage.

Day 2 we walked around Anchorage until our train left at lunchtime. We took a 3 hour train ride through the mountains to Seward.

 
Posted by Picasa


You can click to enlarge. From top left clockwise - the Alaska Rail Road train, window shopping in Anchorage, glaciers on the mountains, the starting place for the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race, me looking at the view (the broken trees are from the 1964 9.4 earthquake - apparently this is what happens to trees when the salt water hits them) and a different glacier.

Once we hit Seward we had the Ellis Island check in for the cruise. Went to through security and made way to our cabin.



We didn't have long before our scheduled formal dinner. We left Seward at 9 pm Alaska time (midnight Texas time).

We spent the bulk of Day 3 on the water. At around 3pm we visited Hubbard Glacier. We didn't have to go anywhere to view it but our balcony. I had taken the sea sickness pills so I was a little out of it. I spent the afternoon in the sun with a blanket. I did mark a couple of items off my bucket list such as hearing a glacier calf.

 
Posted by Picasa


Saturday was our first formal dinner night. I was still a little sea sick so I wasn't too big on throwing on layers of clothes. I made it until dessert before I had to excuse myself.



Day 5 was a port day which was happy news for a sea sick Jennifer. We spent the day in Juneau. We took a bus to Mendenhall Glacier. We walked around and saw a bald eagle. Juneau was cold and rainy. We then hiked uphill to the State Capitol. Not quite the same as the huge Texas capitol building. We then briefly walked by the Red Dog Saloon where the favorite gift shop item for cruisers are red panties. Jason spent the afternoon watching the seaplanes land beside our ship. Then he fell asleep watching his favorite channel - the navigation channel. Why he needed the navigation channel when we were in port I am not really sure.

 
Posted by Picasa


More to come in the next day or so...I am slowly catching up on everything.

No comments: